British BulletinBritish Bulletin
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
What's On

Chinese car brand Chery to launch major new UK facility within months

19 August 2026

Ed Davey blames Nigel Farage and Brexit for migrant crisis as Lib Dems back joining EU asylum scheme

19 August 2026

Cash warning as 19 million Britons use notes and coins just once a month or less

19 August 2026

Man Utd: How Michael Carrick’s side are shaping up for Premier League season | Manchester News

19 August 2026

Salma Hayek becomes grandmother for first time weeks before 60th birthday as actress shares adorable video

19 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
British Bulletin
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
British BulletinBritish Bulletin
Home » World Cup 2026: Argentine presenter resigns after wrongly saying Lionel Messi’s father had died
Sports

World Cup 2026: Argentine presenter resigns after wrongly saying Lionel Messi’s father had died

By britishbulletin.com20 June 20263 Mins Read
World Cup 2026: Argentine presenter resigns after wrongly saying Lionel Messi’s father had died
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

An Argentine television presenter has resigned after falsely reporting that the father of Lionel Messi had died during Argentina’s first World Cup game.

Florencia Pena made the claim during a live broadcast on Argentine streaming channel Luzu TV following Argentina’s opening group game win over Algeria.

“I don’t want to bring bad news, but Messi’s father has just passed away. It was sudden. In the middle of the World Cup,” Pena said while hosting the show.

The report quickly spread on social media before Pena clarified that the information had not been confirmed.

The Messi family later issued a statement confirming that the player’s father, Jorge Messi, is receiving medical treatment for an undisclosed health condition.

The statement said the 68-year-old is under medical supervision and recovering, while criticising speculation surrounding his health and calling for privacy during a difficult period.

Pena apologised publicly and said the information had been passed to her during the programme as if it was verified news.

“I apologise to the Messi family,” she said in a statement. “I am deeply ashamed to have been involved in this mistake.”

The 51-year-old television personality and actress now says she was given unverified information.

“I have to clarify that this false information was given to me live on air as if it had been checked by the show’s production team, and I trusted it,” Pena wrote on social media on Thursday.

“Even so, I take responsibility for being part of the mistake and that is why I decided to step aside and end my participation in Luzu.

“I apologise again from the heart; I was wrong.”

Luzu TV also apologised and announced disciplinary action following the incident, saying the dissemination of sensitive information without proper verification was unacceptable.

Nicolas Occhiato, the show’s host and producer, said: “We at Luzu TV deeply regret what happened on the air during the program El Show de Verano. For our channel, the broadcast of sensitive information without proper prior verification is unacceptable.

“For this reason, Luzu TV management has decided to terminate the employment of all those responsible, and Florencia Pena has decided to step down.

“We reaffirm our commitment to responsible, respectful, and rigorous journalism.”

The controversy came after Messi scored a hat-trick in Argentina’s 3-0 win over Algeria. The 38-year-old appeared emotional during the match and later said he had experienced “difficult days” for personal reasons unrelated to football.

The false report triggered widespread criticism across Argentina, with many supporters condemning the failure to verify the information before it was broadcast.

Argentina’s President Javier Milei called it “Trash talk” on X, saying that Pena’s “outrageous and unscrupulous, unverified statements on a streaming channel, which would still be outrageous even if the information had been true, since they concern a citizen’s private life, remind us of the impunity with which some individuals believe they can operate simply because they have a microphone or a pen in their hand”.

Argentina continue their World Cup campaign against Austria on Monday (18:00 BST).

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Football news: Thomas Frank, Ashley Young and more join Match of the Day as BBC launches four new Youtube shows

Fantasy Premier League: Five tips from last season’s FPL champion

Formula 1: Kimi Antonelli – the boy ‘born in a garage’ and made on the track

Premier League predictions: Phil McNulty previews new season

Premier League chief Richard Masters says Fifa self-destructed over World Cup plan

England vs Pakistan: A huge challenge, but Joe Root can finish captaincy story

Gianni Infantino: Fifa’s Kevin Lamour sacking ‘deeply troubling’ – Uefa executive Laura McAllister

Man found dead at Charlton Athletic football ground

Football: Serie A striker Yael Trepy out of coma after pool rescue

Editors Picks

Ed Davey blames Nigel Farage and Brexit for migrant crisis as Lib Dems back joining EU asylum scheme

19 August 2026

Cash warning as 19 million Britons use notes and coins just once a month or less

19 August 2026

Man Utd: How Michael Carrick’s side are shaping up for Premier League season | Manchester News

19 August 2026

Salma Hayek becomes grandmother for first time weeks before 60th birthday as actress shares adorable video

19 August 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Brittan News and Updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Taxpayers will foot bill for shortfall on PFI hospital upgrades | UK News

19 August 2026

Football news: Thomas Frank, Ashley Young and more join Match of the Day as BBC launches four new Youtube shows

19 August 2026

Drivers slapped with £100,000 in court costs after being caught by smart motorway cameras

19 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 British Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.