British BulletinBritish Bulletin
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
What's On

Ollie Robinson recall surprises former England fast bowler Stuart Broad

21 May 2026

Green Party candidate in Makerfield withdraws from race less than a day after being put forward by Zack Polanski

21 May 2026

Keir Starmer cracks wry smile as PM insists he is ‘delivering despite all the other things going on’

21 May 2026

UK Government releases bombshell documents on former Duke of York

21 May 2026

Morrisons to shut 100 UK stores as it blames Labour for rising costs

21 May 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
British Bulletin
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
British BulletinBritish Bulletin
Home » Morrisons to shut 100 UK stores as it blames Labour for rising costs
Business

Morrisons to shut 100 UK stores as it blames Labour for rising costs

By britishbulletin.com21 May 20263 Mins Read
Morrisons to shut 100 UK stores as it blames Labour for rising costs
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Hundreds of retail jobs could be at risk as a major supermarket operator plans a wave of closures across the UK.

Around 100 stores are expected to shut over the coming months as staff are consulted on the proposals.


Morrisons said on Thursday that a review had been taken to shut the 100 convenience stores, which had been unprofitable for years.

“This situation has been exacerbated in more recent years by significant cost increases resulting from government policy choices, which have made returning these stores to profitability even more difficult.”

Workers at the affected branches were informed of the proposals on Thursday, with the closures due to take place over the coming months.

The closures are the latest in a series of cost-cutting measures by Morrisons, which has already shut pharmacies, cafés, meat counters and florists in its stores.

Morrisons said it would try to find alternative roles for affected staff within its supermarkets and manufacturing operations where possible.

The move marks a major shake-up for the supermarket’s convenience store business and could affect hundreds of jobs across the country.

Every store earmarked for closure was originally part of the McColl’s chain, which Morrisons purchased in 2022 before converting the sites to its Daily convenience brand.

The supermarket has described these particular outlets as the “most challenged” within its portfolio, with all of them operating at a loss.

The move marks a major shake-up for the supermarket’s convenience store business

| GETTY

Morrisons will attempt to find alternative roles for displaced staff across its wider business, including positions at its larger supermarkets and manufacturing facilities.

Despite the wave of closures, the company maintains it remains fully committed to expanding its convenience offering, with chief executive Rami Baitiéh having previously outlined ambitions to open hundreds of new Daily stores in the years ahead.

This marks the third significant wave of job losses at Morrisons since the start of 2026.

In April, the retailer announced plans to reduce headcount at its Hilmore House headquarters by roughly eight per cent as part of efforts to increase automation through artificial intelligence.

Morrisons is reportedly closing 100 stores across the UK, impacting hundreds of jobs

| Google maps

The company also recently merged its Daily convenience commercial and support teams with its main supermarket buying division, a restructure that eliminated around 100 positions.

These cost-cutting measures come as the private equity-owned chain grapples with economic pressures stemming from the Iran conflict while working to reduce its substantial £3.1billion debt burden.

The supermarket insists its broader convenience growth strategy remains on course despite the closures, with future expansion expected to rely predominantly on franchise partnerships rather than company-owned outlets.

Morrisons is also exploring opportunities to sell existing company-operated stores to franchisees as part of this shift in approach.

Despite the wave of closures, the company maintains it remains fully committed to expanding its convenience offering

| Morrisons

The convenience division has undergone considerable upheaval in recent months, including the sudden departure of convenience director Matt Heslop in February after less than twelve months in the position.

Mr Baitiéh’s turnaround efforts have yielded some progress, with Morrisons reporting that its debt has fallen by 46 per cent since the restructuring programme commenced.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Quiz to shut all remaining stores in latest blow to UK high street

Fury as inspector blocks 867-home development over fears it would harm Peckham’s historic character

Jet2 and EasyJet issue major update as airlines cancel flights amid fuel shortages

Martin Lewis warns 750,000 people could be missing out on £2,200 payouts

Rachel Reeves announces VAT cut for holidaymakers

State pension crisis as UK net migration update exposes ‘double hit’ to retirement system

Rachel Reeves’s ‘Great British Summer Savings’ scheme slammed as economy faces ‘continued uncertainty’

Elon Musk to become world’s first trillionaire as SpaceX preps stock market debut

Nationwide Building Society confirms free £275 bonus for millions in Fairer Share payment update

Editors Picks

Green Party candidate in Makerfield withdraws from race less than a day after being put forward by Zack Polanski

21 May 2026

Keir Starmer cracks wry smile as PM insists he is ‘delivering despite all the other things going on’

21 May 2026

UK Government releases bombshell documents on former Duke of York

21 May 2026

Morrisons to shut 100 UK stores as it blames Labour for rising costs

21 May 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Brittan News and Updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

BBC sparks fears it will ruin Poirot as casting news for reboot series confirmed: ‘Needs no remake!’

21 May 2026

Stellantis to launch affordable electric city cars in Europe under new growth plan

21 May 2026

England World Cup squad: Harry Maguire and Fikayo Tomori to be left out

21 May 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 British Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.