British BulletinBritish Bulletin
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
What's On

Eddie Hearn: Nobody can stop Tyson Fury-Anthony Joshua fight from happening

23 August 2026

Woman dies after falling 87ft from top of iconic 300 year old tower in UK seaside town

22 August 2026

Lucy Davis ‘grateful’ for support after cancer diagnosis | UK News

22 August 2026

Man City will ‘try to find’ new Rodri, says Enzo Maresca

22 August 2026

Cleveland Police chief delivers update on horror car crash that killed two police officers

22 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
British Bulletin
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
British BulletinBritish Bulletin
Home » Millions of drivers risk ‘losing 30% of payout’ from car finance scandal compensation scheme
Lifestyle

Millions of drivers risk ‘losing 30% of payout’ from car finance scandal compensation scheme

By britishbulletin.com27 July 20263 Mins Read
Millions of drivers risk ‘losing 30% of payout’ from car finance scandal compensation scheme
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Motorists impacted by the car finance scandal could lose hundreds of pounds when they receive compensation if they use a claims management company.

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has issued a fresh warning to motorists about the impending redress scheme that impacts millions of drivers.


It confirmed that 12.1 million agreements would be eligible for compensation at a total cost of £9.1billion, worth an average redress of £829 per agreement.

To ensure drivers receive their compensation, the UK’s financial regulator has launched a £2million advertising campaign.

The adverts will run across TV, radio, print, billboards and social media, and will help people feel more confident about making a complaint when dealing with their car finance.

It will direct drivers to a free template complaint letter on the FCA’s website that relates to the disclosure of motor finance arrangements.

The FCA has previously warned that drivers attempting to get compensation through a law firm or claims management company (CMC) could lose more than 30 per cent of the money owed.

A survey from the FCA found that 27 per cent of car finance customers were not confident in making a complaint without using a CMC or law firm.

Drivers are being warned that they could lose up to 30 per cent of their compensation if they go through a law firm or CMC

|

GETTY

This is despite free tools from the regulator being available for motorists as part of its response to the car finance scandal.

Almost three in five motorists added that they have made or are considering a claim, although 23 per cent said they were unsure of what options were available to them.

Sheree Howard, executive director at the FCA, said: “Many people who may be owed compensation aren’t sure where to start or don’t realise they don’t have to pay someone to make a complaint.

“Our free tools are there to help people feel claim confident – so they can get any money owed back without it costing them a penny.”

FCA boss Nikhil Rathi praised the redress scheme, noting that it would put money back in the pockets of drivers | GETTY

The FCA’s new advertising campaign will run from July 27 to September 6, while resources will remain on the regulator’s website.

When the compensation scheme was announced in March earlier this year, the FCA estimated that the vast majority of claims would be settled by January 2028.

At the start of July, the FCA announced that its motor finance redress scheme had been partially suspended as it waits to hear legal challenges in December 2026 or February next year.

The Upper Tribunal will hear legal challenges from Consumer Voice, Volkswagen Financial Services, Mercedes-Benz Financial Services, and Crédit Agricole Auto Finance.

The FCA originally planned for the majority of drivers to receive their compensation by the end of 2027 and the beginning of 2028 | FCA

Firms will not be required to calculate or pay redress, or send communications about compensation owed under the scheme, until the Upper Tribunal process ends.

The FCA outlined that if the scheme is upheld and the judgement isn’t appealed, payments under the scheme are expected to begin in 2027.

If the scheme is overturned in whole or part, the regulator needs to decide what to do next, which will likely delay the compensation.

In the event that the FCA seeks views on a revised scheme, they could face a further legal challenge, with the regulator warning that “compensation could be delayed until 2028 or beyond”.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Popular arthritis drug shown to restore hair in 55% of patients with severe alopecia in six months

Eating high-protein snack after exercise can help curb hunger and support weight loss

Aldi imposes strict 3-bottle limit on popular wine as price of magnum drops below £10

Marks & Spencer food shoppers go wild as two indulgent new cookie treats land in stores — ‘I must find this!’

Motorists face fresh price hikes to use popular Silvertown Tunnel next month

Drivers slammed for ‘throwing bottles of urine’ at road workers repairing major bridge

HMRC unveils new costs launching within days for petrol, diesel and electric car drivers

Motorists prosecuted every week for driving the WRONG DIRECTION on Britain’s motorways

The mansion tax is a tax on Britain when it can least afford one

Editors Picks

Woman dies after falling 87ft from top of iconic 300 year old tower in UK seaside town

22 August 2026

Lucy Davis ‘grateful’ for support after cancer diagnosis | UK News

22 August 2026

Man City will ‘try to find’ new Rodri, says Enzo Maresca

22 August 2026

Cleveland Police chief delivers update on horror car crash that killed two police officers

22 August 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Brittan News and Updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Rapists and violent offenders to be confined to zones of ‘a few miles’ under Labour’s prison plans

22 August 2026

Blue plaque unveiled in Haslemere for Paddington Bear author | UK News

22 August 2026

West Ham United news: Nuno Espirito Santo says fans were “let down” in Charlton Athletic home defeat

22 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 British Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.