British BulletinBritish Bulletin
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
What's On

Tennis: Arthur Fery named in GB Davis Cup team to face Ecuador

18 August 2026

Robert Jenrick and Nigel Nelson CLASH over Reform UK's welfare reforms: 'That's ridiculous!'

17 August 2026

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson: Former Iceland striker announces retirement | Manchester News

17 August 2026

‘I feel guilty’ – Creetown farmer whose lamb had first case of bluetongue in Scotland | UK News

17 August 2026

Football gossip: Fernandez, Neto, Casado, Fernandes, Barcola, Mbaye, Kane

17 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
British Bulletin
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
British BulletinBritish Bulletin
Home » Benfica suspends five supporters following Champions League incidents
Sports

Benfica suspends five supporters following Champions League incidents

By britishbulletin.com28 February 20262 Mins Read
Benfica suspends five supporters following Champions League incidents
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Benfica say they have suspended five supporters for behaviour “of a racist nature” during the first leg of their Champions League knockout play-off against Real Madrid this month.

Play in Lisbon was suspended for 10 minutes after Real Madrid’s Vinicius Jr told the referee that he had been racially abused by Benfica’s Argentine winger Gianluca Prestianni, who denies the claims.

“Benfica informed that it has suspended the memberships of five members following the initiation of disciplinary proceedings that led to the application of the maximum sanction stipulated in club’s statutes, which is expulsion,” the Portuguese club said in a statement.

“An internal investigation initiated after the match between Benfica and Real Madrid, held on 17 February, and the adoption of inappropriate behaviour in the stands, of a racist nature, incompatible with the values and principles that govern the club.

“Benfica reaffirms that it does not tolerate any form of discrimination or racism and will continue to act firmly when behaviours undermine the values of the club.”

Vinicius had put the visitors ahead in the game but was booked for an excessive celebration in front of Benfica supporters.

Television footage showed some fans appearing to make racist gestures aimed at the player.

After an exchange with Prestianni he ran over to the referee, gesturing in the direction of the Argentina player before walking off the pitch, followed by his team-mates.

When play resumed, an object was thrown from the crowd that struck Vinicius on the arm as he prepared to take a corner.

Speaking after the game, Benfica manager Jose Mourinho said Vinicius had acted disrespectfully and incited the crowd.

Those comments were criticised by former Real midfielder Clarence Seedorf among others.

Prestianni was handed a provisional one-match ban by Uefa and missed Wednesday’s return leg, which Real won 2-1 to go through 3-1 on aggregate.

Vinicius, who scored again at the Bernabeu, was booed by the away supporters.

On Thursday, Benfica issued a statement denying a claim that Prestianni had told the squad or club officials that he had uttered a racist insult to Vinicius.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Tennis: Arthur Fery named in GB Davis Cup team to face Ecuador

Football gossip: Fernandez, Neto, Casado, Fernandes, Barcola, Mbaye, Kane

Rodri lands in Barcelona to complete ‘dream’ move

Fifa: Kevin Lamour leaves after criticising president Gianni Infantino

Cliftonville FC: Members vote in favour of TIG takeover

Wafcon 2026: Things we learned from finals in Morocco as Cameroon crowned champions

Coventry City transfer news: Taiwo Awoniyi signs from Nottingham Forest for £9m

Amy Hunt reveals surprising food she ate straight after winning historic fourth gold medal

England v Pakistan Test series: Jordan Cox on Virat Kohli advice

Editors Picks

Robert Jenrick and Nigel Nelson CLASH over Reform UK's welfare reforms: 'That's ridiculous!'

17 August 2026

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson: Former Iceland striker announces retirement | Manchester News

17 August 2026

‘I feel guilty’ – Creetown farmer whose lamb had first case of bluetongue in Scotland | UK News

17 August 2026

Football gossip: Fernandez, Neto, Casado, Fernandes, Barcola, Mbaye, Kane

17 August 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Brittan News and Updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Robert Jenrick tells GB News about Reform UK’s three-point plan to end Britain’s benefits scourge

17 August 2026

Meghan Markle dealt blow as Megyn Kelly supports Martha Stewart in bitter feud: ‘She doesn’t spew s***!’

17 August 2026

Jason Arday’s family ‘still coming to terms’ with his death as supporters attend vigil | UK News

17 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 British Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.