British BulletinBritish Bulletin
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
What's On

Rubin Colwill: Cardiff City have a lot room for growth says Derby goalscoring hero

18 August 2026

Angela Rayner opens door to more traveller sites near you as councils lose power to stop encampments

18 August 2026

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor ‘turns down’ King’s invitation to Royal Family gathering due to ‘outcast’ fears

18 August 2026

Major UK supermarket sheds nearly 5,000 jobs in restructuring drive as 100 stores face closure

18 August 2026

Teen completes seven GCSE exams over five months with his eyes | Manchester News

18 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
British Bulletin
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
British BulletinBritish Bulletin
Home » World Cup 2026: USA security chief Markwayne Mullin ‘danced a happy dance’ after Iran exit
Sports

World Cup 2026: USA security chief Markwayne Mullin ‘danced a happy dance’ after Iran exit

By britishbulletin.com30 June 20262 Mins Read
World Cup 2026: USA security chief Markwayne Mullin ‘danced a happy dance’ after Iran exit
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The United States’ head of homeland security said he “danced a happy dance” when Iran were eliminated from the World Cup.

Iran missed out on qualifying from the group stage on goal difference after having a stoppage-time winner against Egypt disallowed for a marginal offside.

Coach Amir Ghalenoei said his team were the “most oppressed” at the tournament amid the backdrop of the country’s conflict with the US and Israel.

Iran’s training base was switched from Arizona to Tijuana in Mexico before the World Cup began and they faced travel restrictions throughout.

Despite Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Egypt, Iran still had a chance of qualifying as one of the eight best third-placed teams.

But their elimination was confirmed when Algeria and Austria played out a dramatic 3-3 draw on Sunday.

Speaking to reporters on Monday, secretary of the Department of Homeland Security Markwayne Mullin said: “I’m just glad they’re done, and they’re not coming back.

“I was so happy when we were able to pull their visas and said they could leave the US soil, and I might’ve sung a song or two or maybe even danced a happy dance.”

He added: “There wasn’t a single team that we had to spend more time dealing with than Iran.”

Iran were only permitted to enter the US the day before their first two matches and had to leave on the same day as the game, under the terms of their visas.

Those restrictions were eased for their final group game in Seattle, allowing them to arrive two days early, but they again had to return to Tijuana after Saturday’s match.

Iran coach Ghalenoei said that the US, co-hosts of the World Cup with Canada and Mexico, had “treated us very unfairly” and that his squad had been given “less than half” the training window it needed to prepare.

Iran captain Mehdi Taremi added: “This kind of tension undermines the joy of the World Cup. I felt the tension from the first moment we arrived.”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Rubin Colwill: Cardiff City have a lot room for growth says Derby goalscoring hero

Premier League to publish verdicts on referee and VAR decisions

David Warner: Former Australia batter convicted and fined for drink-driving

Newcastle: Club sign Amar Dedic from Benfica for around £30m

Andrew Benson’s F1 Q&A: What’s going on at Cadillac and Haas? – F1 Q&A

Premier League 2026-27: Players to watch in the new season

Wrexham: Phil Parkinson frustrated after Cardiff City draw

Jack Whaley: Emotional golfer credits dad for US Amateur glory

Chelsea: Co-owners Todd Boehly and Mark Walter explore selling stakes in club

Editors Picks

Angela Rayner opens door to more traveller sites near you as councils lose power to stop encampments

18 August 2026

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor ‘turns down’ King’s invitation to Royal Family gathering due to ‘outcast’ fears

18 August 2026

Major UK supermarket sheds nearly 5,000 jobs in restructuring drive as 100 stores face closure

18 August 2026

Teen completes seven GCSE exams over five months with his eyes | Manchester News

18 August 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Brittan News and Updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Brendan Cole reflects on BBC Strictly axe as he recalls Shirley Ballas outburst: ‘I was hot-headed’

18 August 2026

Salmonella outbreak linked to imported eggs kills one and strikes down 207 across UK

18 August 2026

Man charged with sharing asylum seeker addresses in Thetford | UK News

18 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 British Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.