British BulletinBritish Bulletin
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
What's On

Amy Hunt reveals surprising food she ate straight after winning historic fourth gold medal

17 August 2026

Bayo Alaba suspended as Labour MP amid questions over £50,000 taxpayer-backed Covid loan

17 August 2026

Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank announce name of newborn baby

17 August 2026

UK ‘heading for economic catastrophe’ as industrial energy use almost halves

17 August 2026

Harrowing 911 audio reveals actress suffered ‘cardiac arrest’ as details about death emerge

17 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
British Bulletin
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
British BulletinBritish Bulletin
Home » Wildfires: Phone alert was ‘entirely appropriate’, government says | UK News
News

Wildfires: Phone alert was ‘entirely appropriate’, government says | UK News

By britishbulletin.com17 August 20262 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

A Cabinet Office press release about the alert, posted to its website at about 18:45 on Friday, was missed by many in the media, which meant there was little warning to the public.

Some campaigners have said this potentially jeopardised domestic abuse victims trying to hide secret phones they use to seek support and try to escape abusers.

Women’s Aid, the national charity aiming to end domestic abuse, is calling for more forewarning of alerts wherever possible.

Veronica Oakeshott, the charity’s head of external affairs, told News: “Survivors of domestic abuse frequently turn to second phones to help them access lifesaving support or flee from abuse.”

It is vital the devices stay hidden, she said, adding: “We would urge the government to forewarn the public that alerts might be issued, when possible.”

A government spokesperson previously said it was working closely with domestic abuse charities for tests of the system.

It has also been reported that senior government figures were discussing whether or not to send the alert hours before, on Friday morning.

Phil Garrigan, chair of the National Fire Chiefs Council, said on Monday he was grateful to the public for the response to the emergency alert.

He told Radio 4’s Today programme his organisation had seen a decrease in the number of wildfires emergency services have responded to in the last 72 hours.

Garrigan added that there were still four major incidents declared in Hampshire, Cambridgeshire, South Wales and the West Midlands.

Politicians, including Reform UK’s Laura Anne Jones and Andrew RT Davies for the Conservatives, have also questioned why the emergency alert was sent to phones in Welsh before it arrived in English.

The UK government did not comment directly, but said under the Welsh Language Act, it has to send alerts in the Welsh language first and sends alerts bilingually where possible.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Tories hunt for challenger to beat Nigel Farage amid ‘uniparty’ fears over Clacton deal with Labour

Bruno Fernandes: Manchester United will reject any offer for captain amid Galatasaray interest | Manchester News

Jim Shannon: DUP MP charged with common assault of a woman | UK News

Green councillors consider pigeon contraception to tackle bird droppings problem

Virgin takes another step towards Channel Tunnel rail services | UK News

Bolton Wanderers 2-1 Preston North End: Fan views on Lancashire derby | Manchester News

Swansea Au Vodka reportedly in talks over £500m sale to BuzzBallz owner | UK News

Wessex Water imposes hosepipe ban on millions of Britons for first time in 50 years

South East Water misery continues for about 1,200 Kent properties | UK News

Editors Picks

Bayo Alaba suspended as Labour MP amid questions over £50,000 taxpayer-backed Covid loan

17 August 2026

Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank announce name of newborn baby

17 August 2026

UK ‘heading for economic catastrophe’ as industrial energy use almost halves

17 August 2026

Harrowing 911 audio reveals actress suffered ‘cardiac arrest’ as details about death emerge

17 August 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Brittan News and Updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

UK drivers reject calls for higher motorway speed limits despite thousands backing petition

17 August 2026

Wildfires: Phone alert was ‘entirely appropriate’, government says | UK News

17 August 2026

England v Pakistan Test series: Jordan Cox on Virat Kohli advice

17 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 British Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.