British BulletinBritish Bulletin
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
What's On

Migrant murderer guilty of identical killing in London three years after prison release

19 August 2026

Airport boss defends £453m car parking income | Manchester News

19 August 2026

First bluefin tuna caught in North Sea off Whitby since 1960s | UK News

19 August 2026

Formula 1: Kimi Antonelli – the boy ‘born in a garage’ and made on the track

19 August 2026

Council row erupts over ‘nuisance’ peacocks roaming in Norfolk village

19 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
British Bulletin
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
British BulletinBritish Bulletin
Home » White House sued by Disney in escalating free speech row as media giant accuses White House of ‘retaliatory campaign’
Entertainment

White House sued by Disney in escalating free speech row as media giant accuses White House of ‘retaliatory campaign’

By britishbulletin.com19 August 20263 Mins Read
White House sued by Disney in escalating free speech row as media giant accuses White House of ‘retaliatory campaign’
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Disney has sued the Trump administration amid an escalating free speech row between the corporation and the White House.

The media giant and its ABC division, one of the four major commercial US broadcasters, has accused the White House’s media regulator of waging a “retaliatory campaign”.


In April, media the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ordered Disney to begin the renewal process for its television broadcast licences ahead of schedule.

And White House officials have carried out a long-running review into diversity, equity and inclusion policies at Disney.

In the lawsuit, Disney urged a judge to block the early licence renewal, which it described as an attack on the freedom of the press.

Disney separately filed for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction and accused the FCC of violating the First Amendment.

“This case boils down to a simple question: Can the administration use its control over the federal regulatory apparatus to punish a media organization for editorial decisions and news coverage it dislikes?” the lawsuit said.

“Because the First Amendment provides a clear answer – of course not – this court’s intervention is necessary to stop the Federal Communications Commission’s extraordinary assault on free speech.”

Donald Trump’s legal team accused the BBC of harassing his family | REUTERS

The corporation alleged the Trump administration was intimidating all US broadcasters in the country.

“ABC is the visible target and suffers the most immediate harm, but the message is addressed to every broadcaster in the country, and the ultimate cost is borne by the press as a whole,” the lawsuit reads.

FCC Chairman Brendan Carr in an interview late on Tuesday told The New York Times the lawsuit was “meritless” and denied it was an attack on the First Amendment.

“Holding a broadcaster accountable to their public interest obligations and statutory obligations is not a violation of their First Amendment rights,” he said.

LATEST DONALD TRUMP NEWS:

FCC commissioner Brendan Carr said the lawsuit was ‘meritless’

| REUTERS

The row began last year after late-night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel accused Mr Trump and his supporters of using the death of Charlie Kirk to “score political points”.

Mr Kimmel was briefly taken off the air, but returned to screens just a few days later.

US broadcasting licences are usually renewed every eight years, with most of Disney’s set to expire in 2030 or 2031.

An investigation has also been opened into ABC’s flagship daytime talk show The View over rules that require broadcasters to give equal time to political candidates from both parties.

ABC briefly pulled Jimmy Kimmel from the air during the row

|

GETTY

Disney has urged the FCC to recognise a 2002 ruling which classified the Barbara Walters-created show as a news programme, which are exempt from the equal-time rules.

In the lawsuit, Disney admitted that, since February’s appearance of Texas Senate candidate James Talarico, “cumulative pressure” from the FCC had “impacted the programme’s decisions about which guests to invite”.

An FCC spokesman said: “All broadcasters have a legal obligation to operate in the public interest – even Disney.”

He added: “The FCC will continue to follow the facts and law wherever they lead.”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Trigger Point boss breaks silence on season five as Vicky McClure makes feelings clear on ITV show’s future

King Charles brings back Balmoral’s tradition after 90 years

Queen Camilla opens up on ‘difficult’ days after finding out King Charles had been diagnosed with cancer

European country finally allows women to inherit throne after giving them vote in 1984

ITV Trigger Point creator issues chilling warning ahead of season four: ‘No one’s safe’

Adelaide Brooksbank missing from royal line of succession as official website yet to update

ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies aged 77 just weeks after pulling out of tour over health

Cameron Walker shares adorable snaps of first visit to Balmoral as he joins King Charles in Scotland

The Odyssey becomes biggest BFI film EVER as Christopher Nolan epic bags huge record

Editors Picks

Airport boss defends £453m car parking income | Manchester News

19 August 2026

First bluefin tuna caught in North Sea off Whitby since 1960s | UK News

19 August 2026

Formula 1: Kimi Antonelli – the boy ‘born in a garage’ and made on the track

19 August 2026

Council row erupts over ‘nuisance’ peacocks roaming in Norfolk village

19 August 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Brittan News and Updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

UK inflation jumps to 2.9 per cent after £221 energy bill hike

19 August 2026

White House sued by Disney in escalating free speech row as media giant accuses White House of ‘retaliatory campaign’

19 August 2026

Caernarfon teen’s ovarian cancer put her in menopause overnight | UK News

19 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 British Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.