Two dogs have died after ingesting an “unknown white substance” at a park in Liverpool.
Merseyside Police have cordoned off a green space close to Childwall Valley Road after reports emerged of four dogs falling ill after eating a strange substance.
The animals were taken to a veterinary surgery at around 2.00pm on Monday.
Two have since died, whilst a third is seriously ill. The fourth is continuing to receive treatment.
Two dogs (stock pic) died after eating a strange substance at a park in Liverpool
Getty/Google Street View
People have been told to stay away from the cordoned-off area, whilst tests are being carried out to establish what the substance is.
It will then be removed in a “safe and controlled manner”.
Residents living opposite the cordon were advised to keep their windows and doors closed whilst specialists attended to the scene.
The force said in a statement: “An unknown white substance was found in a park area close to Childwall Valley Road.
Residents living opposite the cordon were advised to keep their windows and doors closed
Google Street View
“We received a report from a veterinary surgery at around 2pm yesterday (Monday) that a number of dogs had been brought to the surgery after falling ill after ingesting the substance.
“Two of the dogs later died, one was seriously ill and a fourth one was being treated.
“There have been no reports of any people, or further animals, being affected overnight.
“Specialist contractors will be attending the scene today to remove the substance in a safe and controlled manner and pedestrians and dog walkers are advised to avoid the area while the incident continues to be dealt with.”
Chief Superintendent Jonathan Davies said: “Whilst the incident is obviously of concern, I want the public to be reassured that the matter is being dealt with and is under control. We would advise people to avoid the area as we seek to establish what the substance is and how it got there.
Residents have been urged by the police to avoid the area in Liverpool
“Anyone who believes they were in the area and came into direct contact with the substance is advised to seek medical assistance if they believe they have suffered any ill effects. We would always advise anyone who comes across an unknown substance to not touch but to report it to police.”
White Cross Vets urged owners to be “extra careful” after it dealt with two cases of possible poisoning.
Writing on social media, a spokesperson said: “Due to client confidentiality we cannot comment publicly on individual cases.
“However, losing a pet unexpectedly is always extremely difficult and our thoughts are with the families of the affected dogs.
“We will continue to work alongside police and support them with their enquiries.”