British BulletinBritish Bulletin
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
What's On

Tottenham transfer news: Spurs in talks to sign Man City’s Omar Marmoush and Savinho

20 August 2026

Councillor who claimed to have had no training sent resignation letter to wrong council

20 August 2026

Migrant crisis: Labour MP challenged on asylum seeker rape guidance in heated GB News grilling

20 August 2026

The damning detail in Harry and Meghan’s move back to the UK that will strike fear into Buckingham Palace

20 August 2026

EasyJet cancels all flights from UK airport as passengers offered full refunds

20 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
British Bulletin
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
British BulletinBritish Bulletin
Home » Nuclear submarine investment will protect Britain and boost jobs, PM says | UK News
News

Nuclear submarine investment will protect Britain and boost jobs, PM says | UK News

By britishbulletin.com30 July 20263 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The Dreadnought-class submarines will replace the UK’s four Vanguard-class vessels that have been in operation since 1992, carrying Trident missiles to provide a nuclear deterrent.

Those Vanguard submarines are due to be retired in the 2030s, with the Dreadnoughts entering service at the same time.

The project has taken 20 years to get to this stage and was first announced in 2006 by the then Labour Prime Minister, Tony Blair. A decade later, in 2016, MPs formally approved building the new submarines.

Thursday’s announcement of £8.4bn marks the start of what has been called the fourth phase of the project.

The spending was already planned, and was included in the Defence Investment Plan, published in the final days of Sir Keir Starmer’s government.

The plan set out £63.6bn over the next four years for what is called the Defence Nuclear Enterprise.

The bulk of the money (£47bn) will go on keeping the nuclear submarines in operation, continuing with the Dreadnoughts, starting work on what might replace them in 30 years’ time, and constructing several other new submarines and upgrading the UK’s naval docks and manufacturing facilities.

The prime minister will use his visit to Barrow-in-Furness to stress how defence spending can have economic benefits for the country.

“The submarines produced in Barrow will protect Britain for decades to come, and the 47,000 jobs and apprenticeships will change lives both in this town and in dozens of places like it,” he said prior to his visit.

“British money, spent on British workers, British firms and British skills, in the places that were written off for 40 years.”

The government says the spending on the UK’s nuclear defence currently supports around 47,000 British jobs – and is forecast to rise to 65,000 by 2030, including 22,000 apprenticeships by 2035.

Since becoming prime minister, Burnham has said he wants to reduce the number of young people not in employment, education or training and has announced funding to help those starting apprenticeships.

In a further step, Burnham has said the public procurement process, used to decide how to spend taxpayer cash, will favour companies offering 45-day work placements.

Speaking to the Jimmy’s Jobs of the Future podcast,, external he said there would be “more social value weighting in public contracts”, with a particular focus on firms offering such placements.

He said the move had been inspired by his time as Greater Manchester mayor, when he oversaw a rise in the number of 45-day placements offered by private firms.

But the announcement offered little detail of the extent of the changes, how they would be implemented and how many firms he expected to roll out the placements as a result.

Liberal Democrat defence spokesperson James MacCleary called for the use of defence bonds to “raise dedicated funding to rebuild capabilities across the whole of the armed forces”.

For Reform UK, Danny Kruger dismissed Burnham’s announcement as a “rehashed spending plan” that did “nothing to address the crisis in the UK’s nuclear programme”.

“If the Prime Minister actually cared about keeping Britain safe and ensuring our Armed Forces can stand alongside our allies, he would commit to a significant increase in spending and a total overhaul of both procurement and the nuclear enterprise,” Kruger said.

Green Party Westminster leader Ellie Chowns questioned the decision to spend billions of pounds on “weapons that must never be used”.

“Ministers should not pretend that the best way to create employment is by funnelling ever-increasing sums into the nuclear weapons programme,” she said.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Councillor who claimed to have had no training sent resignation letter to wrong council

North West NHS trust accused of failing to investigate deaths | Manchester News

UK weather: Rain continues for UK with risk of flash flooding | UK News

Shoreham beach death tributes paid to family by Ealing school | UK News

Opportunistic burglars raid family home amid ‘horror movie’ fires and make off with jewellery

Sweltering southerners head to Scotland for ‘coolcations’ | UK News

Labour councillor couple finally removed after failing to show up for six months

Hitchin fruit farm defends Titanic-themed ride after backlash | UK News

Furious farmer uses tractor to help clear off travellers after caravans pitch up outside primary school

Editors Picks

Councillor who claimed to have had no training sent resignation letter to wrong council

20 August 2026

Migrant crisis: Labour MP challenged on asylum seeker rape guidance in heated GB News grilling

20 August 2026

The damning detail in Harry and Meghan’s move back to the UK that will strike fear into Buckingham Palace

20 August 2026

EasyJet cancels all flights from UK airport as passengers offered full refunds

20 August 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Brittan News and Updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

North West NHS trust accused of failing to investigate deaths | Manchester News

20 August 2026

British actor, 41, and former frontrunner for 007 role Theo James WITHDRAWS from race

20 August 2026

Andy Burnham urged to slash VAT on fuel in major lifeline for petrol and diesel drivers

20 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 British Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.