British BulletinBritish Bulletin
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
What's On

From making friends to managing money: Students’ advice for this year’s freshers | UK News

17 August 2026

European Athletics Championship: Jazz Sawyers takes long jump silver for Great Britain

17 August 2026

Conservatives pledge ‘crackdown on illegal traveller sites’ by leaving ECHR

17 August 2026

The all-women team taking on Irvine’s daft greasy pole challenge | UK News

17 August 2026

Rodri: Watch midfielder’s defining Manchester City moments as move to Barcelona announced

17 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
British Bulletin
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
British BulletinBritish Bulletin
Home » Labour minister under investigation as new scandal rocks Keir Starmer
Politics

Labour minister under investigation as new scandal rocks Keir Starmer

By britishbulletin.com23 February 20263 Mins Read
Labour minister under investigation as new scandal rocks Keir Starmer
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

A Labour minister is under investigation in yet another scandal to hit Sir Keir Starmer’s party.

Cabinet Office minister and MP for Makerfield Josh Simons, who was running the think-tank Labour Together, allegedly paid for a probe into the background of critical journalists.


The Prime Minister has asked his independent adviser on ministerial standards, Laurie Magnus, to examine the conduct of Mr Simons.

Labour Together, once ran by former Chief of Staff Morgan McSweeney, is accused of paying PR firm Apco Worldwide £36,000 to look into the background of journalists in 2023, when Mr Simons was its director.

The journalists from The Guardian and The Sunday Times had covered the campaign group’s failure to declare more than £700,000 in donations.

Mr Simons has faced calls to resign from his ministerial post.

The issue has been referred to independent adviser on ministerial standards Sir Laurie Magnus, Chief Secretary to the Prime Minister Darren Jones said.

Mr Jones told the Commons: “The Prime Minister has been advised that the matter should be referred now to the independent adviser on ministerial standards, which the Prime Minister has done today.”

Sir Keir Starmer has ordered the probe

|

GETTY

Mr Jones said the Prime Minister will “make a judgment” about Josh Simons’ future once he has received advice from the independent adviser.

He said: “His advice to the Prime Minister will be made public in the normal way.

“The independent adviser is appointed to provide impartial and independent advice to the prime minister in light of his published terms of reference.”

Mr Jones also insisted that freedom of the press is a “cornerstone of our democracy”, and the Government is committed to upholding and protecting that freedom.

Josh Simons was appointed as a Cabinet Office Minister in Sir Keir Starmer’s September reshuffle | PARLIAMENT TV

In the Commons, senior Conservatives called for Mr Simons to resign from his post.

Shadow Cabinet Office Minister Alex Burghart said it was “difficult to see” how Mr Simons’ position was tenable, saying he was involved in “a deliberate attempt to smear and intimidate journalists.”

Responding to his claims, Mr Jones said if Mr Simons had been suspended, the ethics adviser would not be able to investigate him.

Long serving Conservative MP for New Forest East Julian Lewis said he did not see the need for a further investigation into Mr Simons, adding the facts were “clear” and Mr Simons’ position was “indefensible.”

Mr Jones responded, saying that the ethics adviser is investigating the case because the facts of the case are “disputed.”

Alex Burghart said it was ‘difficult to see’ how Mr Simons remained in post

|

PARLIAMENT.TV

Labour Together is said to have hired Apco Worldwide, which then allegedly investigated reporters from The Sunday Times, The Guardian and other outlets to identify their sources after reports emerged about the think tank.

The PR firm’s probe is said to have resulted in a 58-page report, which included details designed to discredit reporters who had looked into campaign finance breaches by the think tank.

The think tank was fined £14,250 in September 2021 over late reporting of donations, totalling £730,000 between 2017 and 2020, after referring itself to the Electoral Commission.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Conservatives pledge ‘crackdown on illegal traveller sites’ by leaving ECHR

‘What are you playing at?!’

Britain’s ‘bloated’ welfare bill branded a ‘fiscal emergency’ amid Reform’s plan to overhaul benefits system

Reform UK board member dismisses Rupert Lowe’s pact offer as ‘crackers’

Andy Burnham accused of ‘forcing’ 1,250 illegal migrants on Piddington community despite ‘zero’ consultation

Rapists and child sex offenders to be GPS tagged for one year after release from prison amid ‘game-changing’ £700m investment

Migrant crisis: Labour MP shut down in GB News grilling over plans to house illegal migrants in ‘middle class’ areas

Richard Tice tells GB News he has received ‘death threats’ amid ‘increasing concern’ for MP safety: ‘We cannot be complacent’

Andy Burnham to tackle issues ‘ignored by Westminster’ on second week of summer tour

Editors Picks

European Athletics Championship: Jazz Sawyers takes long jump silver for Great Britain

17 August 2026

Conservatives pledge ‘crackdown on illegal traveller sites’ by leaving ECHR

17 August 2026

The all-women team taking on Irvine’s daft greasy pole challenge | UK News

17 August 2026

Rodri: Watch midfielder’s defining Manchester City moments as move to Barcelona announced

17 August 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Brittan News and Updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Gurkhas deployed to South Wales to help firefighters tackle raging wildfires

17 August 2026

Ariana Grande leaves problems at home as her tour hits the UK | UK News

17 August 2026

Wafcon 2026 final: Cameroon 3-0 Malawi – Marie Ngah Manga helps Indomitable Lionesses to first title

17 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 British Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.