British BulletinBritish Bulletin
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
What's On

England vs Pakistan first Test highlights: Harry Brook helps hosts build lead on day two at Headingley

20 August 2026

Two Afghan illegal migrants raped woman at knifepoint while she was on first date with another man

20 August 2026

Tories slammed over plans to scrap 2035 diesel ban as EVs could make businesses ‘more profitable’

20 August 2026

Harry and Meghan ‘should have to explain attacks on Royal Family’ amid return to the UK

20 August 2026

Levenshulme stabbing murder charge after man killed | Manchester News

20 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
British Bulletin
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
British BulletinBritish Bulletin
Home » French Open 2026: Will Aryna Sabalenka and Naomi Osaka ‘open door’ for women’s night sessions?
Sports

French Open 2026: Will Aryna Sabalenka and Naomi Osaka ‘open door’ for women’s night sessions?

By britishbulletin.com2 June 20262 Mins Read
French Open 2026: Will Aryna Sabalenka and Naomi Osaka ‘open door’ for women’s night sessions?
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Tournament director Amelie Mauresmo, herself a former women’s world number one, had regularly pointed to the possibility of short two-set matches as the reason for often overlooking the women.

“The match-ups are always interesting for both men and women, but there are multiple factors for us to make the choice,” Mauresmo said earlier on Monday.

“As you know, the potential length of the matches is something that we are also looking at.”

On picking Sabalenka against Osaka, she added: “It was obvious that it should be a night match tonight.”

There was a school of thought that Mauresmo might have looked elsewhere, though, had men’s world number one Jannik Sinner still been in the tournament.

Sinner would have been scheduled to play on the same day, but without him the men’s matches taking place on Monday lacked star power.

If Sabalenka against Osaka did not take place under the lights, then which women’s match would conceivably ever be picked?

With that came a sense of expectation.

If the match ended up being a dud, then it could have been used by critics as a stick to beat the women’s game with.

That, others argue, was a situation created by the French Open’s reluctance to showcase its female stars in the first place.

Was the burden which it placed on Sabalenka and Osaka to represent the women’s game fair?

“I don’t really care. There are so many different things to put pressure on myself – that was the last thing on my mind,” said Osaka.

“Shout out to the tournament for trusting us – I hope it was entertaining for people.”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

England vs Pakistan first Test highlights: Harry Brook helps hosts build lead on day two at Headingley

England vs Pakistan: Harry Brook, Joe Root, Jordan Cox make runs in Headingley gloom

US Open 2026 to offer biggest prize fund in Grand Slam history with $108 million on offer

Yankuba Minteh: Liverpool have £50m bid rejected for Brighton winger

Maeve Plouffe: Rider ‘nearly hit’ by car on day one of Tour of Britain Women

Francesca Hennessy in talks to fight undisputed bantamweight champion Dina Thorslund

Closer to retiring than changing teams – why Max Verstappen stayed at Red Bull

Newcastle: Jaissle on pain which set him on path to club and speaking with Howe

Novak Djokovic documentary: Tennis great on being ‘my own biggest doubter’ and childhood that shaped his career

Editors Picks

Two Afghan illegal migrants raped woman at knifepoint while she was on first date with another man

20 August 2026

Tories slammed over plans to scrap 2035 diesel ban as EVs could make businesses ‘more profitable’

20 August 2026

Harry and Meghan ‘should have to explain attacks on Royal Family’ amid return to the UK

20 August 2026

Levenshulme stabbing murder charge after man killed | Manchester News

20 August 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Brittan News and Updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

EastEnders star fumes it’s a ‘tragedy’ BBC is ‘under-appreciated’ as he shares firm defence amid controversies

20 August 2026

Heatwaves drive record-breaking demand on NHS Wales services | UK News

20 August 2026

England vs Pakistan: Harry Brook, Joe Root, Jordan Cox make runs in Headingley gloom

20 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 British Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.