British BulletinBritish Bulletin
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
What's On

Conservatives pledge ‘crackdown on illegal traveller sites’ by leaving ECHR

17 August 2026

The all-women team taking on Irvine’s daft greasy pole challenge | UK News

17 August 2026

Rodri: Watch midfielder’s defining Manchester City moments as move to Barcelona announced

17 August 2026

Gurkhas deployed to South Wales to help firefighters tackle raging wildfires

17 August 2026

Ariana Grande leaves problems at home as her tour hits the UK | UK News

17 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
British Bulletin
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
British BulletinBritish Bulletin
Home » European Parliament suspends US trade deal after Donald Trump tariff ruling
Business

European Parliament suspends US trade deal after Donald Trump tariff ruling

By britishbulletin.com23 February 20263 Mins Read
European Parliament suspends US trade deal after Donald Trump tariff ruling
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The European Parliament suspended ratification of a major trade agreement with the United States on Monday, following last week’s Supreme Court decision that invalidated the majority of President Donald Trump’s emergency tariffs.

Lawmakers convened for urgent discussions in Brussels before announcing the freeze.


“Nobody knows what will happen … and it’s unclear if there will be additional measures or how the United States will really guarantee” its end of the agreement, said Bernd Lange, who chairs the parliament’s trade committee.

The American position has become “so uncertain,” according to parliamentary officials.

EU trade spokesman Olof Gill stated earlier on Monday that Washington must provide clarity on its intentions, noting that responses from the Trump administration have failed to address the bloc’s concerns adequately.

Mr Trump responded to the developments with threats on Truth Social, warning that nations attempting to “play games” with what he termed the “ridiculous supreme court decision” would face substantially higher import duties.

“BUYER BEWARE!!!” the President wrote.

Markets reacted sharply to the combination of uncertainty and presidential threats.

European Parliament halts US trade deal ratification after Supreme Court blocks Trump tariffs

|

GETTY

The Dow Jones Industrial Average shed more than 710 points, representing a decline exceeding 1.4 per cent.

The S&P 500 dropped one per cent whilst the Nasdaq fell 1.3 per cent, with American indices hitting their session lows.

European markets also suffered losses, with the pan-European Stoxx 600 sliding 0.2 per cent.

Major indices in Germany, Norway, Switzerland, Belgium and Sweden all finished in negative territory.

Donald Trump’s Truth Social post

|

Truth Social

The agreement, finalised last July between Trump and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, was designed to remove what the White House described as trade barriers across multiple sectors for American exporters.

The administration characterised the deal as a “generational modernisation of the transatlantic alliance.”

Ms Von der Leyen said the arrangement offered “stability and predictability, for citizens and businesses on both sides of the Atlantic.”

Under its terms, most American tariffs on EU imports would be capped at 15 per cent, with duties eliminated entirely on aircraft components, generic pharmaceuticals, semiconductor equipment, certain agricultural goods and critical raw materials unavailable domestically in the US.

This marks the second time lawmakers have paused the ratification process.

In mid-January, the parliament initially halted proceedings after President Trump threatened additional tariffs against eight European nations over his ambitions regarding Greenland.

Indian trade negotiators have scrapped a scheduled visit to Washington for discussions on a pending bilateral agreement, according to multiple reports.

The Indian Commerce Ministry declined to comment on the cancellation.

China announced overnight that it is examining the court’s ruling and seeking additional information from American officials.

Donald Trump has been urged to abandon tariffs

|

GETTY

Beijing also urged the United States to completely abandon its tariff regime.

Following Friday’s Supreme Court decision, Mr Trump signed an executive order establishing a 10 per cent worldwide tariff under separate legal authority unaffected by the ruling.

By Saturday, he announced plans to increase this rate to 15 per cent, though the White House has yet to publish an updated executive order.

Customs and Border Protection confirmed that duties under the invalidated tariffs will cease being collected from Tuesday.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Universal Credit and PIP to be cut for millions in Reform’s DWP overhaul

Dean Forbes reveals how he went from homeless to CEO of £1billion tech firm

Retailer M&Co fell into administration with £46million in debt and 1,800 jobs cut

Economists warn ‘inflation expected to rise’ after shock energy bill hike

Historic 112-year-old Hancock & Wood shuts as ‘old-fashioned’ business leaves high street

Water companies to introduce ‘surge pricing’ during droughts under new plans

Reform to rethink welfare by scrapping £50billion from ballooning budget

Russell & Bromley returns to high street after shutting down shops

Martin Lewis warns buyers about three things that can stop mortgage applications

Editors Picks

The all-women team taking on Irvine’s daft greasy pole challenge | UK News

17 August 2026

Rodri: Watch midfielder’s defining Manchester City moments as move to Barcelona announced

17 August 2026

Gurkhas deployed to South Wales to help firefighters tackle raging wildfires

17 August 2026

Ariana Grande leaves problems at home as her tour hits the UK | UK News

17 August 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Brittan News and Updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Wafcon 2026 final: Cameroon 3-0 Malawi – Marie Ngah Manga helps Indomitable Lionesses to first title

17 August 2026

Hundreds of cells empty in Britain’s most expensive new prison

17 August 2026

Donald Trump says BBC harassed his family by ‘abusing the deposition process’

17 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 British Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.