British BulletinBritish Bulletin
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
What's On

The Hundred: What has the impact of new ownership been on the tournament?

17 August 2026

Britain introduces first cycle lane speed limit

17 August 2026

The Hundred final: Manchester Super Giants seal victory over Trent Rockets after Tim Seifert’s 72 | Manchester News

17 August 2026

Bonnie Tyler’s hometown prepares for final goodbye | UK News

17 August 2026

Rory McIlroy admits concerns as Scottie Scheffler wins first FedEx Cup play-off event

17 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
British Bulletin
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
British BulletinBritish Bulletin
Home » Donald Trump hikes global tariffs to 15% as Labour promises to secure ‘best possible deal’ with White House
Business

Donald Trump hikes global tariffs to 15% as Labour promises to secure ‘best possible deal’ with White House

By britishbulletin.com23 February 20263 Mins Read
Donald Trump hikes global tariffs to 15% as Labour promises to secure ‘best possible deal’ with White House
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Senior Labour Government discussions are continuing in response to Donald Trump’s declaration of 15 per cent tariffs on imports worldwide, with ministers seeking the most favourable outcome for British companies.

Education Secretary Bridget Phillipson conceded that firms face a period of doubt following the US President’s announcement, but maintained that the UK anticipates its advantageous trading terms with America will remain intact.


This weekend, the Labour minister said: “We, through the work that the Prime Minister has been leading in engaging with the US Government and with President Trump, we would hope and expect that to continue, but these discussions are ongoing.”

She described the situation as “evolving” and assured businesses that the Government would work to secure “the best possible deal” for them.

Donald Trump hikes global tariffs to 15% as Labour promises to secure ‘best possible deal’ with White House

The tariff announcement came after the US Supreme Court struck down President Trump’s earlier import tax policy on Friday, ruling against the “reciprocal tariffs” he had introduced under emergency powers legislation in April.

In response, the President signed an executive order on Friday evening allowing him to circumvent Congress and impose a 10 per cent levy on goods from across the globe.

However, President Trump raised this figure to 15 per cent the following day, posting on Truth Social that he was doing so because of what he termed a “ridiculous, poorly written and extraordinarily anti-American decision on tariffs issued yesterday”.

Britain had previously secured the lowest rate of 10 per cent, with Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and Trump agreeing additional exemptions for the UK’s steel sector and automotive manufacturers.

The stock market has been volatile since Trump returned to office | Reuters

President Trump is an advocate of tariffs | GETTY

Following this weekend’s developments, the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC), which represents 50,000 companies across the UK, responded with alarm to the President’s latest move.

The organisation cautioned that the change would result in an additional five per cent levy on a broad array of goods exported to the United States, with the exception of products protected by existing transatlantic trade agreements.

William Bain, the BCC’s head of trade policy, said: “This will be bad for trade, bad for US consumers and businesses, and weaken global economic growth Businesses on both sides of the Atlantic need a period of clarity and certainty. Higher tariffs are not the way to achieve that.”

The business group urged ministers to maintain ongoing dialogue with their American counterparts to preserve Britain’s competitive position.

PICTURED: Traders react as Donald Trump rolls out tariffs | REUTERS

Ms Phillipson rejected suggestions that Britain should adopt a more confrontational stance with Washington, insisting that a blend of approaches was necessary.

Speaking to Sky News, she explained: “In reality you get more done when you are prepared to have serious conversations, often not in front of cameras or out there in the public, but actually behind the scenes, working closely between Governments.”

The minister emphasised that negotiations were taking place “right to the very, very highest levels” to ensure British interests were communicated clearly. Reform UK’s Treasury spokesman Robert Jenrick described the blanket tariffs as “harmful for trade” and said his party opposed them “very strongly”.

He suggested that Nigel Farage would prove more effective at negotiating with Trump than the Prime Minister, adding that if Sir Keir was “willing to swallow his pride and ask for Nigel’s help”, the Reform leader would be prepared to assist.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Universal Credit and PIP to be cut for millions in Reform’s DWP overhaul

Dean Forbes reveals how he went from homeless to CEO of £1billion tech firm

Retailer M&Co fell into administration with £46million in debt and 1,800 jobs cut

Economists warn ‘inflation expected to rise’ after shock energy bill hike

Historic 112-year-old Hancock & Wood shuts as ‘old-fashioned’ business leaves high street

Water companies to introduce ‘surge pricing’ during droughts under new plans

Reform to rethink welfare by scrapping £50billion from ballooning budget

Russell & Bromley returns to high street after shutting down shops

Martin Lewis warns buyers about three things that can stop mortgage applications

Editors Picks

Britain introduces first cycle lane speed limit

17 August 2026

The Hundred final: Manchester Super Giants seal victory over Trent Rockets after Tim Seifert’s 72 | Manchester News

17 August 2026

Bonnie Tyler’s hometown prepares for final goodbye | UK News

17 August 2026

Rory McIlroy admits concerns as Scottie Scheffler wins first FedEx Cup play-off event

17 August 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Brittan News and Updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Net Zero prison to be £150million overbudget and deliver just 200 jail places

17 August 2026

Man charged with attempted murder at Surrey asylum hotel | UK News

17 August 2026

US Amateur golf: England’s Jack Whaley wins title and earns spot at 2027 Open, US Open and Masters

16 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 British Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.