British BulletinBritish Bulletin
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
What's On

Council leader demands transparency over plans for ‘super’ detention centre in town

20 August 2026

Labour’s shock public sector pay splurge revealed

20 August 2026

Home Secretary will NOT make decision on Sussexes’ security amid bitter years-long feud over tax-funded police protection

20 August 2026

Octopus Energy launches free electricity scheme for THOUSANDS of households

20 August 2026

Funding boost for historic Wigan Royal Court Theatre | Manchester News

20 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
British Bulletin
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
British BulletinBritish Bulletin
Home » Bomb squad deployed after suspicious packages sent to Jewish council leader
News

Bomb squad deployed after suspicious packages sent to Jewish council leader

By britishbulletin.com19 August 20263 Mins Read
Bomb squad deployed after suspicious packages sent to Jewish council leader
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Several roads have been closed and buildings evacuated after two suspicious packages were said to have been sent to a Jewish council leader in Hertfordshire.

Prior to the incident in Borehamwood today, Hertsmere Council leader Jeremy Newmark had been subject to a death threat, which remains under investigation by police.


Mr Newmark was not at the civic centre when the suspicious envelopes arrived, but council staff immediately alerted emergency services, according to Jewish News.

Bomb disposal experts were then called to the scene at around 4pm this afternoon.

Police urged members of the public to avoid the area while investigations continued.

Road closures were put in place around Shenley Road, Manor Road and Studio Way, while classes at the nearby Venue sports centre were cancelled.

A Hertsmere Council spokesman said: “Officers attended and put a 100-metre cordon in place – the offices were evacuated and closed, and residents in nearby properties were also asked to evacuate.

“Hertsmere opened a reception centre at The Venue leisure centre for residents. The large cordon has now been lifted but remains in place around the Civic Offices and police station as the incident is ongoing.

Police urged members of the public to avoid the area while investigations continued

|

GOOGLE MAPS

“We have accordingly stood down the reception centre. We will provide a further update if the council offices have to remain closed tomorrow. We thank the public for their patience at this time.”

The incident comes almost a year to the day after a major emergency response in Borehamwood, involving the discovery of another suspicious object on August 18, 2025.

It saw emergency services called to Cowley Hill after reports of a potentially dangerous item.

Residents were evacuated from their homes and a 100-metre cordon was established around the area, where the restrictions meant many people were unable to return home for several hours.

The Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit was called to assess the object, where police later carried out controlled explosions as part of the operation.

In a statement at the time, a police spokesman said the explosions were conducted before the item was declared safe and removed from the scene that evening.

The latest incident has again prompted disruption in the area, while further details about the nature of the packages and whether they were connected to the reported death threat have not yet been established.

Police investigations continue.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham last month shared his stance on antisemitism in Britain detailing a zero-tolerance approach and affirming the assertion that there is no contradiction between fighting antisemitism and disagreeing with actions of the Israeli government.

A spokesman for The Board of Deputies and the Jewish Leadership said: “However, antisemitism cannot be confronted without addressing all its drivers. In today’s Britain, this includes Islamist, far-left and far-right extremists who go beyond criticism of the Israeli government to a place of hatred directed at Jews and Israelis.

“These voices build on distorted or one-sided portrayals of the situation in Gaza and its causes and ceaseless attempts to single out the world’s only Jewish state.

“Andy Burnham knows first-hand the links between hatred of Israel, antisemitic extremism and deadly violence against British Jews. In a country in which antisemitism has become more normalised, more extreme and more violent, we call on our leaders to show the utmost care in their rhetoric in relation to the conflict.”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Council leader demands transparency over plans for ‘super’ detention centre in town

Funding boost for historic Wigan Royal Court Theatre | Manchester News

Wales GCSE results due amid major changes for pupils | UK News

‘My son’s killers were under supervision but allowed to reoffend’ | UK News

Man, 48, charged with murder after double stabbing

‘It was hard to adjust after sleeping rough for a year’ | Manchester News

Fewer than 1,800 free spaces for male prisons in England and Wales | UK News

Murder investigation launched after house fire leaves nine people in hospital

Palestine Action: Jury discharged in Elbit Bristol raid trial | UK News

Editors Picks

Labour’s shock public sector pay splurge revealed

20 August 2026

Home Secretary will NOT make decision on Sussexes’ security amid bitter years-long feud over tax-funded police protection

20 August 2026

Octopus Energy launches free electricity scheme for THOUSANDS of households

20 August 2026

Funding boost for historic Wigan Royal Court Theatre | Manchester News

20 August 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Brittan News and Updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Wales GCSE results due amid major changes for pupils | UK News

20 August 2026

British motorbike racer killed in horror crash Manx Grand Prix qualifier one day after Mauro Poncini dies

19 August 2026

Bomb squad deployed after suspicious packages sent to Jewish council leader

19 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 British Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.