British BulletinBritish Bulletin
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
What's On

Football Predictions: Play Match of the Day predictor game

18 August 2026

Serco staff member accused of leaking asylum seeker home addresses targeted in Thetford disorder

18 August 2026

‘The eco zealots have gone tonto!’

18 August 2026

Poundland owner plots sale of high street chain just one year after €1 takeover deal

18 August 2026

Man Utd legend Paul Scholes handed six-month driving ban after two convictions in two days

18 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
British Bulletin
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
British BulletinBritish Bulletin
Home » Kildare: Officers told not to pursue car on motorway | UK News
News

Kildare: Officers told not to pursue car on motorway | UK News

By britishbulletin.com18 August 20262 Mins Read
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Gardaí (Irish police) were instructed to disengage from pursuing a car as it drove in the wrong direction on a motorway before a fatal crash, the Garda Representative Association has said.

Five teenagers were killed in the head-on crash on the M9 in County Kildare on Sunday morning.

Two women are in a critical condition, while another woman and a seven–year-old boy are in a serious condition.

Assistant General Secretary of the Garda Representative Association (GRA), Tara McManus, told the that garda roads policing officers “do not have pursuit training”.

She said officers involved in the Kildare incident were given a command to “disengage” with the car after it took “evasive action”.

Ireland’s Minister for Justice Jim O’Callaghan said that the Garda Commissioner has said he would introduce pursuit training this year.

The crash happened on the M9 Northbound at Junction 3 at about 03:00 local time.

The five teenagers who died have been named locally as Joe Carthy from Athy, County Kildare, Alex McCarthy from Carlow, Kamil Pustkowski from Limerick, Jeremy O’Brien and Jack Kennedy, according to Irish broadcaster RTÉ News.

The injured family – two women aged in their 30s and one in her 20s, and the young boy – are understood to be from Carlow.

McManus said the teenagers had been in the car for a number of hours before the collision and gardaí had attempted to interact with them and bring the vehicle to a stop on “several occasions”.

She told NI’s Good Morning Ulster programme that officers deployed stinger devices in an attempt to stop the car, but it proceeded to travel in the direction of the motorway.

“At that stage our members would not continue in that pursuit and the directions that were given by our command and control centre were to disengage,” she said.

“That would be the normal procedure for us that we do not engage with a car that has decided to take that sort of evasive action.”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Serco staff member accused of leaking asylum seeker home addresses targeted in Thetford disorder

Campaigner Claire Lomas died in crash while filming Apple series, inquest told | UK News

Nearly all unregistered HMOs in Salford deemed unsafe | Manchester News

Stourbridge news: Heroic women rescue horses from burning land during wildfire

British couple on honeymoon killed in helicopter crash on Greek island of Sifnos | UK News

Teen completes seven GCSE exams over five months with his eyes | Manchester News

Man charged with sharing asylum seeker addresses in Thetford | UK News

British Gas apologises to disabled pensioner after threatening him with court over £2,000 bill mistake

IVF staff accused of misleading UK parents about donors at northern Cyprus clinics | UK News

Editors Picks

Serco staff member accused of leaking asylum seeker home addresses targeted in Thetford disorder

18 August 2026

‘The eco zealots have gone tonto!’

18 August 2026

Poundland owner plots sale of high street chain just one year after €1 takeover deal

18 August 2026

Man Utd legend Paul Scholes handed six-month driving ban after two convictions in two days

18 August 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Brittan News and Updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Campaigner Claire Lomas died in crash while filming Apple series, inquest told | UK News

18 August 2026

Hockey World Cup: Ireland women’s hopes alive after win over New Zealand

18 August 2026

Labour planning reforms: Tory councillor takes aim at Angela Rayner’s ‘soft touch’ reforms amid crackdown on illegal traveller sites

18 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 British Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.