British BulletinBritish Bulletin
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
What's On

Teacher who panel concluded had touched girls’ hair banned | Manchester News

18 August 2026

Richard Madeley, 70, reveals terrifying choking ordeal as he admits ‘I would’ve died’

18 August 2026

Two people killed in Trawsfynydd aircrash named | UK News

18 August 2026

Rodri joins Barcelona from Man City in £65m deal

18 August 2026

Four people pulled from East Sussex harbour after ‘getting into difficulty’ as police close off scene

18 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
British Bulletin
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
British BulletinBritish Bulletin
Home » World Cup 2026: Norway face questions as Erling Haaland rested against France
Sports

World Cup 2026: Norway face questions as Erling Haaland rested against France

By britishbulletin.com27 June 20262 Mins Read
World Cup 2026: Norway face questions as Erling Haaland rested against France
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

It was billed as a World Cup Golden Boot showdown between France superstar Kylian Mbappe and Norway goal machine Erling Haaland.

In the end Haaland started on the bench and it quickly turned into the Ousmane Dembele show after the Ballon d’Or winner hit a stunning 25-minute first-half hat-trick as Les Bleus coasted to a 4-1 win at Boston Stadium.

While France went with an array of attacking talent they hope will fire them to World Cup glory in New Jersey on 19 July, Norway decided this final group game was the right time to exclude Manchester City forward Haaland from the starting XI for the first time since 2024.

It wasn’t just Haaland though as Norway boss Stale Solbakken, with his side already through to the knockout stages, opted to make a whopping 10 changes.

“A no-brainer,” he said when asked why he decided to rest so many.

“Both my part and from the physio, health and medical department, and from some of the players themselves.

“The only consideration was for the Norway fans. They would have wanted to see Erling and Martin [Odegaard] play.

“We did a summary after the Senegal game and five or six players [were] very affected after 80 minutes. The entire defensive line and one or two midfielders.”

As a result of the changes, Dembele filled his boots after Mbappe struck the underside of the crossbar inside the opening minute.

“If Erling Haaland needs a rest for the latter stages of the tournament he will take that,” former England striker Ian Wright told ITV Sport before the game.

With Haaland, who had scored four goals in the previous two group games, sat on the bench, his deputy Jorgen Strand Larsen missed a penalty that would have made it 3-2 after half-time.

Haaland had already made his feelings clear about facing France after scoring two in a 3-2 win over Senegal on Tuesday.

“I couldn’t care too much about that game now,” he said after Norway qualified for the knockout stages.

“They’re probably going to win against us. They’re probably going to win the whole tournament.”

So was it a shrewd move by Norway to make so many changes – or the wrong decision?

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Rodri joins Barcelona from Man City in £65m deal

US Open 2026: Venus Williams, 46, given singles wildcard along with Sloane Stephens and Stan Wawrinka

Fin Tarling death shows risks in races – Jonathan Vaughters

Joe Hart on Man City, Arsenal’s title defence and Chelsea’s hopes

Football Predictions: Play Match of the Day predictor game

Hockey World Cup: Ireland women’s hopes alive after win over New Zealand

Premier Sports Cup quarter-finals: Rangers host Celtic on 13 September

Rubin Colwill: Cardiff City have a lot room for growth says Derby goalscoring hero

Premier League to publish verdicts on referee and VAR decisions

Editors Picks

Richard Madeley, 70, reveals terrifying choking ordeal as he admits ‘I would’ve died’

18 August 2026

Two people killed in Trawsfynydd aircrash named | UK News

18 August 2026

Rodri joins Barcelona from Man City in £65m deal

18 August 2026

Four people pulled from East Sussex harbour after ‘getting into difficulty’ as police close off scene

18 August 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Brittan News and Updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Andy Burnham defends response to White House hoax call: ‘I did everything right!’

18 August 2026

Queen Elizabeth insisted on jubilee visit to Northern Ireland despite IRA threats, files show

18 August 2026

Ricky Gervais makes major marriage U-turn after 40 years with partner Jane Fallon over £142m fortune

18 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 British Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.