British BulletinBritish Bulletin
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
What's On

The Odyssey becomes biggest BFI film EVER as Christopher Nolan epic bags huge record

18 August 2026

Ten years since Team GB hockey Olympic gold – what is legacy of that win? | UK News

18 August 2026

Aaron Wan-Bissaka: Aston Villa agree deal to sign West Ham defender

18 August 2026

Britain’s biggest summer fireworks CANCELLED amid ‘severe’ wildfire alert

18 August 2026

Andy Burnham ‘likely messaged Russia or Iran in fake Donald Trump aide text blunder’

18 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Web Stories
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
British Bulletin
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Tech & Science
  • Travel
  • Spotlight
  • More
    • Press Release
British BulletinBritish Bulletin
Home » Oleksandr Usyk vacates belts but is not retiring
Sports

Oleksandr Usyk vacates belts but is not retiring

By britishbulletin.com26 June 20262 Mins Read
Oleksandr Usyk vacates belts but is not retiring
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Heavyweight world champion Oleksandr Usyk says he will vacate all his belts – but is not retiring.

The 39-year-old, who has an undefeated professional record of 25 wins, held the WBA ‘super’, WBC and IBF belts.

“This is a well-considered decision that I am confident will open new opportunities for me. This is not the end of the story. The continuation lies ahead,” he said on X.

The Ukrainian said in the build-up to his last fight in May – a gritty win over Rico Verhoeven in Egypt – that he still wanted to fight on two more occasions before considering whether to hang up the gloves.

In a video message posted on Friday he added: “I want to vacate all the belts that I currently hold to make them available for the guys next in line to fight for them.

“Friends, I’m leaving the belts but not the sport because I still have my last dance.”

Two-time undisputed world champion Usyk was pushed to his limits by Verhoeven, who had competed only once in boxing but had a formidable record from kickboxing, eventually finishing the fight late in the 11th round.

Mandatory challengers are enforced on a rotating basis between sanctioning bodies, and the WBC had ordered Usyk to fight Agit Kabayel next.

The undefeated German is widely viewed as the most deserving contender yet to receive his opportunity. And with the sanctioning bodies now having a decision to make, he could be elevated to champion.

A rematch with Verhoeven may now make sense for Usyk.

Having dominated the cruiserweight division, Usyk made his heavyweight debut in 2019 and went on to defeat both Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury twice.

Briton Daniel Dubois, who lost to twice to Usyk, holds the WBO belt after defeating Fabio Wardley earlier this year.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Keep Reading

Aaron Wan-Bissaka: Aston Villa agree deal to sign West Ham defender

Rodri joins Barcelona from Man City in £65m deal

US Open 2026: Venus Williams, 46, given singles wildcard along with Sloane Stephens and Stan Wawrinka

Fin Tarling death shows risks in races – Jonathan Vaughters

Joe Hart on Man City, Arsenal’s title defence and Chelsea’s hopes

Football Predictions: Play Match of the Day predictor game

Hockey World Cup: Ireland women’s hopes alive after win over New Zealand

Premier Sports Cup quarter-finals: Rangers host Celtic on 13 September

Rubin Colwill: Cardiff City have a lot room for growth says Derby goalscoring hero

Editors Picks

Ten years since Team GB hockey Olympic gold – what is legacy of that win? | UK News

18 August 2026

Aaron Wan-Bissaka: Aston Villa agree deal to sign West Ham defender

18 August 2026

Britain’s biggest summer fireworks CANCELLED amid ‘severe’ wildfire alert

18 August 2026

Andy Burnham ‘likely messaged Russia or Iran in fake Donald Trump aide text blunder’

18 August 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Brittan News and Updates directly to your inbox.

Latest News

Sophie reveals Queen Elizabeth II ‘couldn’t cope’ amid tense Olympic final

18 August 2026

Teacher who panel concluded had touched girls’ hair banned | Manchester News

18 August 2026

Richard Madeley, 70, reveals terrifying choking ordeal as he admits ‘I would’ve died’

18 August 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
© 2026 British Bulletin. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.