Worcester 16-38 Saracens: Malins scores four tries in dominant win


ax Malins went over for four tries as Saracens beat Worcester 38-16 and moved closer to secure a home semi-final in the play-offs.

On his return from a foot injury that kept him out of the win over Exeter, the full-back was on top form as he helped his side cruise to victory.

With only two games of the regular Gallagher Premiership season remaining, Saracens need just three points from fixtures against Northampton and Gloucester to be assured of that crucial home advantage in the semi-finals.

They only needed to play in third gear at Sixways to record a convincing win over a spirited but limited Warriors team, who could only manage three penalties from the boot of Fin Smith and a late try from Tom Howe, which Billy Searle converted.

Rotimi Segun and Ben Earl also crossed for Saracens, with Owen Farrell converting three and Manu Vunipola one.

Saracens made an explosive start to take an early lead. A clean break from Elliot Daly threatened the try-line before a period of pressure resulted in a try for Malins.

Farrell converted before Smith put Warriors on the scoreboard with a straightforward penalty but his side then conceded a simple try. On halfway, Worcester misjudged their lineout throw and Earl was on it in a flash to seize possession and race 50 metres to score.

Worcester’s afternoon got worse when they conceded another try three minutes later. The visitors turned down an easy kick at goal in favour of an attacking lineout and were rewarded when Segun was provided with a walk-in.

Smith kicked his second penalty before Gareth Simpson, after intercepting in his own 22 ran 50 metres to build up Warriors’ first period of pressure but they could not break down a resolute defence.

Smith had another chance to take three points from a kickable penalty but this time Worcester opted for a line-out, which went astray.

Minutes later Smith was presented with a further opportunity and he made no mistake to leave his side trailing 17-9 at the interval.

Within a minute of the restart, Saracens secured their bonus-point when following a strong run from Nick Tompkins, Malins was given acres of space to score his second try.

The visitors sealed victory when Malins completed his hat-trick, with a long pass from Daly putting him into the clear.

With a plethora of replacements, the game fizzled out as Warriors barely threatened and it was left to Malins to enliven proceedings by skipping through a tired defence to stroll 30 metres for his fourth.

The home side looked set to finish tryless but with two minutes remaining, Howe rewarded a period of pressure to make the final score more respectable.

Related Articles

Back to top button