Transfer news LIVE! Arsenal learn Caicedo price; Chelsea medical set
With deadline day fast approaching, Arsenal’s pursuit of Moises Caicedo looks set to go down to the wire. The Gunners, Chelsea and Tottenham are among the clubs still looking to cut some big deals in the final days of the January window. Caicedo has been told to stay away from Brighton training after he asked to leave the club and Arsenal are considering a fresh bid for the 21-year-old, but it may cost a huge £90million. They are also said to have agreed a deal to sign Declan Rice.
Over at Chelsea, they have now struck a deal for Lyon’s Malo Gusto, with the player now having arrived in London for a medical on Saturday. The Blues remain keen on Caicedo and the name Enzo Fernandez still refuses to go away, with another massive swoop planned. Amadou Onana and Matheus Nunes are also on the radar.
Tottenham are close to signing Pedro Porro, who wants to playing one last match for Sporting Lisbon this weekend, while Nicolo Zaniolo is also still a target along with Milan Skriniar. Follow all the latest January transfer news, rumours and gossip live below!
How Arsenal changed Caicedo’s Chelsea plans
Some more interesting information on the Moises Caicedo front comes from journalist Charlie Haffenden.
He says that the Ecuador midfielder was waiting for a move to Chelsea, but was initially willing to hold on until the summer.
However, his thought process is now said to have been transformed by Arsenal’s bid and the prospect of potentially winning a Premier League title this season.
Haffenden insists Brighton will not be bullied into selling another one of their prized assets.
Caicedo agents still pushing for transfer
Moises Caicedo’s new agents are still trying hard to force a January transfer, according to the latest reports.
That’s per Ben Jacobs of CBS Sports, who says that the player’s representatives are doing “everything in their power” in order to seal a move for their client amid talks with Arsenal and ongoing Chelsea interest.
However, they are said to be frustrated that Brighton refuse to engage or come up with a number at which they would be willing to sell, telling Arsenal directly that a deal is out of the question this month.
There is said to be a lot of tension around a saga that could run until the final hours of the window on Tuesday.
Gusto arrives for Chelsea medical
Chelsea are closing in on the signing of Malo Gusto.
Reports emerged last night that the Blues had finally struck a deal worth €30m with Lyon that would see the Brazilian full-back return to France on loan for the rest of the season.
According to RMC journalist Fabrice Hawkins, Gusto has now arrived in London to undergo a medical and sign a long-term contract at Stamford Bridge.
He will not play for Lyon in their Ligue 1 clash with Ajaccio on Sunday.
Arsenal and Chelsea learn Caicedo price
Arsenal and Chelsea have learned the price it will take to coax Brighton into selling Moises Caicedo.
The Seagulls have remained publicly adamant that the Ecuador midfielder will not be sold before the January transfer deadline on Tuesday evening.
That is despite Caicedo staying away from training and Sunday’s FA Cup tie against Liverpool after publicly trying to force through a deal on social media last night amid ongoing talks with Arsenal.
The Gunners have so far seen a £60m bid rejected after Chelsea’s own £55m offer was snubbed last week.
Per The Independent, it will take a whopping £90m to break Brighton’s resolve in the coming days.
Skriniar ‘top’ of Spurs transfer shortlist
It is no secret that Antonio Conte wants Tottenham to sign a new defender and Spurs have identified Inter Milan centre-back Milan Skriniar as their “top” target, according to fresh reports today.
Skriniar is out of contract at Inter at the end of the season and looks set to leave the Serie A club.
Paris Saint-Germain are in talks to sign the 27-year-old but Foot Mercato say his future is undecided and Calciomercato report Skriniar is “at the top of the list” of Spurs options.
Berge interest confirmed amid Chelsea link
Sheffield United manager Paul Heckingbottom has confirmed there is “interest” in midfielder Sander Berge, amid links with Liverpool and Chelsea.
The Norway international is one of several targets on both clubs’ shortlists.
Heckingbottom has confirmed there is interest in Berge this month but insisted there have been no official bids for him.
“I think there’s been interest, and there always is,” he said ahead of Sheffield United’s FA Cup fourth round clash against Wrexham on Sunday.
“You start to hear it before windows and things like that, but there have been no bids.
“All I can do is stress the same things. With the position we’ve got ourselves in, I don’t want anyone to leave. The landscape’s changed with where we are and what we’ve got.
“But from my point of view, if we’re embargoed, it’s even more important they don’t leave. My stance on that won’t change.”
Spence set for Spurs exit
Tottenham full-back Djed Spence is expected to leave on loan during the final days of the January transfer window.
Spurs assistant manager Cristian Stellini has said a lack of consistency in training has resulted in the defender being restricted to only six appearances this season.
“Being consistent without playing so many times is not easy but being consistent in the training is really important for a type of player like Djed,” Stellini said.
“This is the area where he can improve a lot. He improved since he is here and he had great improvement but he has to follow like everyone, like Bryan Gil, like Pape Sarr.
“They improve but the season is going on. If you don’t have many chances to play, maybe you need to be consistent in the training.”
Chelsea ready for late Fernandez swoop
Chelsea are ready to launch a fresh swoop for Enzo Fernandez.
The Blues failed with a move for Fernandez earlier this month but remain keen on a move for the Argentina midfielder.
According to the Daily Express, Chelsea are preparing a late move for Fernandez in the final days of the window and are willing to offer Benfica “a few players” in return.
Arsenal consider fresh Caicedo bid
Arsenal are considering a fresh bid for Moises Caicedo after the midfielder asked to leave Brighton.
Caicedo has been told to stay away from Brighton training until the end of the transfer window amid speculation around his future.
Brighton rejected a £60million offer from Arsenal on Friday and Caicedo responded with a message on his Instagram account in which he asked Brighton to let him join the Gunners.
After seeing their opening bid for Caicedo rejected, the Gunners are exploring a new offer before the window closes.
Read the full story here.
Caicedo told to stay away from Brighton
Brighton have told Moises Caicedo to stay at home and not come to training until after the transfer window closes on Tuesday.
The Seagulls have made it clear to the midfielder that he will not be leaving in this window and is not for sale.
Caicedo will not be in the Brighton squad for their FA Cup tie against Liverpool tomorrow.
Arsenal or Chelsea are now considering fresh bids for the 21-year-old.