Championship roundup: West Brom complete upset of leaders Fulham | Championship

Fulham missed the chance to move further clear at the top of the Championship table after they were beaten 1-0 at West Brom, though second-placed Bournemouth were unable to take full advantage.

The hosts at the Hawthorns went close in the first half when Karlan Grant’s effort was pushed on to the post by Marek Rodak before Callum Robinson finally made the breakthrough just after the hour.

“It was not good enough. In the first half we were not here – it was just our shirts on the pitch,” said Fulham manager Marco Silva. “I don’t want to be unfair on West Brom because they were the best team and they deserved to win. We didn’t express ourselves, and they did what we expected. Marek [Rodak] kept us in the game. In the second half it was a little bit different. We had a big chance with Mitro [Aleksandar Mitrovic] where we should have equalised.”

Bournemouth failed to make up much ground as they were held to a 1-1 draw at home by struggling Reading. Dominic Solanke got the home side off to a flying start inside eight minutes when he slotted home his 22nd Championship goal of the season. However, Tom Ince fired an equaliser for Reading – managed by his father, Paul – with seven minutes remaining.

Quick Guide

League One roundup: Rotherham return to winning ways


Rotherham held their nerve to end a three-game winless streak and retain their four-point lead at the top of League One with a 2-1 win over Lincoln.

Two goals in the first 13 minutes from Ben Wiles and Chiedozie Ogbene [pictured] were exactly what Millers manager Paul Warne required as his side looked to ease back to winning days. Rotherham were pegged back in the 81st minute when Tom Hopper reduced the deficit for Lincoln, leading to a few anxious moments before the points were finally secured.

Second-placed Wigan maintained the pressure with a 2-0 win at bottom club Crewe, who have now lost four games in a row. Josh Magennis headed the Latics’ opener from a Max Power free-kick just before half-time, then Will Keane headed home a Joe Bennett cross eight minutes into the second half.

Plymouth sustained their push into the play-off places as Ryan Hardie’s 65th minute strike proved enough to sink Portsmouth at Home Park. Argyle’s fourth successive win lifted them to fifth place in the table and ended Pompey’s run of eight games without defeat.

Sheffield Wednesday struggled to build on Saturday’s thumping 6-0 win over Cambridge as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Accrington. Callum Paterson swept home the Owls’ opener on 66 minutes but a Marvin Johnson own goal gave Stanley a point seven minutes from time.

Danny Udoh and Luke Leahy each grabbed a brace as Shrewsbury served up a huge boost to their survival hopes with a 5-0 win over free-falling Morecambe. Ryan Bowman completed the scoring in the 71st minute to get his side back to winning ways and stretch the Shrimpers’ winless run to 11 games.

Jason McCarthy struck four minutes into injury time to give Wycombe a 1-0 win over Fleetwood, while Alex Gilbey’s 50th-minute effort saw Charlton end a run of seven without a win as they beat struggling Gillingham by the same scoreline. PA Media

Photograph: Isaac Parkin/PA

Thank you for your feedback.

Blackburn returned to form with a 3-1 home win over Derby. Ravel Morrison put the relegation-threatened visitors ahead just before the half-hour with his third goal in as many games. Blackburn – who had managed only one goal in the previous nine games – were level through Scott Wharton eight minutes into the second half and turned the game around when Tyrhys Dolan headed in on the hour following a corner. The substitute Sam Gallagher nodded in a third deep into stoppage time as Rovers cut the gap on Bournemouth to five points.

At the other end of the table, Barnsley kept alive their own survival hopes with a 2-0 home win over Bristol City. Carlton Morris fired the hosts in front from close range in the ninth minute and Michal Helik’s header doubled the lead midway through the first half. City’s night got worse when midfielder Alex Scott went off injured shortly before the break and then his replacement, Joe Williams, also had to be substituted 10 minutes into the second half.

In his previous club job, Barnsley manager Poya Asbaghi steered IFK Gothenburg into the Europa League after winning the Swedish Cup final. “This challenge would be my highest achievement, having come to a different country and a new league with just nine or 10 players available in January,” insisted Asbaghi.

Quick Guide

League Two roundup: Forest Green held by Leyton Orient


League Two leaders Forest Green Rovers saw their advantage reduced to six points after being held to a 1-1 draw at home by strugglers Leyton Orient. Rovers took an early lead through Mathew Stevens [pictured] after 10 minutes. Orient, though, were back on level terms through Ruel Sotiriou with 20 minutes left.

Northampton, who have played a match more than Rovers, took full advantage as they won 2-1 at Stevenage. Aaron McGowan nodded the Cobblers in front in the 18th minute, and Mitch Pinnock doubled the advantage five minutes into the second half. Chris Lines scored a late consolation for Stevenage.

Newport kept up their own promotion push with a 2-1 win at Carlisle.
Defender Mickey Demetriou headed Newport in front after quarter of an hour, with Finn Azaz adding a second in the 65th minute before Omari Patrick pulled a goal back.

Fourth-placed Tranmere beat 10-man Harrogate 2-0 at Prenton Park. Harrogate forward Luke Armstrong was sent off just before the half-hour mark after collecting two cautions in the space of as many minutes. Lewis Warrington gave Rovers the lead early in the second half, with Kane Hemmings adding another from the penalty spot on 65 minutes.

Exeter are another side within striking distance of the automatic places after they beat Crawley 2-1. Timothee Dieng put the hosts ahead on 31 minutes and the midfielder headed in a second just before the break. Crawley pulled a goal back in first-half stoppage time through a header from Kwesi Appiah.

Swindon saw off fellow promotion hopefuls Sutton 2-1 at the County Ground. Joshua Davison put the Robins in front after 14 minutes, but Joe Kizzi soon headed in an equaliser. Harry McKirdy’s 16th league goal gave Swindon the lead again early in the second half.

Bristol Rovers moved above Sutton into the top seven after they beat Colchester 1-0 with an early second-half goal from Elliot Anderson, while substitute Kian Harratt struck twice in the closing stages as Port Vale came from behind to beat Mansfield 3-1.

Bradford chalked up a second straight victory for new boss Mark Hughes as they won 2-0 at Hartlepool

Rochdale drew 1-1 with derby rivals Salford. James Ball gave Dale the lead after 27 minutes, before Matthew Lund headed the Ammies level in the 66th minute.

The plight worsened for bottom club Scunthorpe, who were beaten 1-0 at home by Barrow, while Walsall came from behind to beat strugglers Oldham 2-1. PA Media

Photograph: Shane Healey/Rex Features

Thank you for your feedback.

Middlesbrough moved back into the top six with a 2-0 win at Birmingham, who finished with 10 men. The on-loan Brighton forward Aaron Connolly gave Boro the lead on 23 minutes, with Folarin Balogun seeing his solo effort just before half-time ruled out by an offside flag. Middlesbrough had a penalty from Paddy McNair pushed on to a post by Neil Etheridge early in the second half, before Balogun eventually got their second goal just after the hour with a 20-yard strike. The Birmingham midfielder Kristian Pedersen was sent off for a second yellow card with four minutes left.

Related Articles

Back to top button