Barclays has announced 16 more of its bank branches will close within months.
The closures will take place in early 2024 – in February and March.
Barclays said the number of customers visiting branches has reduced, with “many” customers choosing to bank via the app, Online, or Telephone Banking.
A Barclays spokesperson said: “As visits to branches continue to fall, we need to adapt to provide the best service for all our customers.
Do you have a money story you’d like to share? Get in touch by emailing [email protected].
Barclays said the number of customers visiting branches has reduced
“Where there is no longer enough demand to support a branch, we maintain an in-person presence though our Barclays Local network, live in over 300 locations, based in libraries, town halls, mobile vans and our banking pods.
“We also support access to cash with our cashback without purchase service, 24-hour deposit-taking ATMs and by working alongside the Post Office and Cash Access UK.”
Barclays has launched a network of alternative branch formats, known as Barclays Local, present in more than 300 locations.
Barclays Local sites have popped up in places such as town halls and libraries, mobile vans and banking pods.
Full list of 16 Barclays bank branches closing in early 2024:
- Abingdon The Square – February 15, 2024
- Berwick-upon-Tweed – February 14, 2024
- Borehamwood – February 21, 2024
- Cannock – February 22, 2024
- Cobham – February 14, 2024
- Coleraine – February 23, 2024
- East Dereham – February 15, 2024
- Eltham – February 16, 2024
- Farnham – February 21, 2024
- Liscard – March 28, 2024
- Llanelli – February 22, 2024
- Newry – February 16, 2024
- Ruislip – February 16, 2024
- Sheringham – February 21, 2024
- South Woodford – February 23, 2024
- Westbury-on-Trym – February 16, 2024
Barclays said the closures have come as people opt to bank in different ways – such as online, via app and using telephone banking
The Barclays Local locations provide face-to-face assistance and offer free digital skills workshops and fraud awareness events, the bank said.
Barclays will have closed 1,140 bank branches since 2015 by the end of this year, according to Which?.
The bank closed 184 sites last year, with 180 closures announced in 2023.